Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) carnets can cover the use under temporary admission of the following vehicles, both private and commercial, into certain non-European Union (EU) countries:


  • road motor vehicles
  • motor cycles
  • trailers
  • registered motor sport vehicles transported by trailer

CPD carnets are for use by people not normally resident in the destination country. They are not required for the temporary import of non EU motor vehicles into the UK but may be required in some EU countries for certain categories of vehicles. The vehicle covered by the CPD carnet cannot be hired, loaned, abandoned or otherwise disposed of without the approval of both the issuing association and the customs authority of the country visited.


If the vehicle is intended to be used in other EU countries the customs authority in that country should be contacted to confirm their requirements.


For UK vehicles exported for temporary use outside the EU, a CPD carnet issued in the UK will cover the vehicles use in the non EU countries visited where those countries accept CPD carnets.


Obtaining a CPD carnet


CPD carnets, also known as FIA/AIT carnets, can be obtained from a national automobile association affiliated either to the Alliance Internationale de Tourisme (AIT) or the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA). In the UK, CPD carnets are issued by the Royal Automobile Club (RAC). Note that the RAC requires a minimum of one month to issue a CPD carnet.